Friday, June 03, 2016

A wonderful word picture



A Scripture verse that many Jewish people will be familiar with:

For unto us a child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;
And the government will be upon his shoulder.
And his name will be called
Wonderful, Counsellor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Isaiah 9:6

They will be familiar with it because they have seen it on Christmas cards. They will probably imagine that it comes from the New Testament. They are likely to be shocked to learn that it comes from the Old Testament book of Isaiah.

Many Jewish people have never read the Bible. They may be familiar with the Jewish prayer book, have a passing familiarity with the five books of Moses, or be familiar with books like Ruth or Esther, read at times of Jewish feasts, but not the remainder of the Bible.

They are unlikely to be familiar, for instance, with Psalm 22:

But I am a worm, and no man;
A reproach of men, and despised of the people.

All those who see me laugh me to scorn;
They shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying,
“He trusted in the Lord, let him rescue him;
Let him deliver him, since he delights in him!”
vv 6 – 8

Many bulls have surrounded me;
Strong bulls of Bashan have encircled me.

They gape at me with their mouths,
As a raging and roaring lion.

I am poured out like water,
And all my bones are out of joint;
My heart is like wax;
It has melted within me.

My strength is dried up like a potsherd,
And my tongue clings to my jaws;
You have brought me to the dust of death.

For dogs have surrounded me;
The assembly of the wicked has enclosed me.
They pierced my hands and my feet;

I can count all my bones.
They look and stare at me.

They divide my garments among them,
And for my clothing they cast lots.
vv12 – 18

Tell me, to whom can these prophecies refer?
           

No comments:

Post a Comment